Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Shatty Day

I finally arrived in Ithaca, NY yesterday. I'll be here for most of the summer, at Cornell's School of Criticism and Theory program. Ithaca is beautiful . . . pictures will be posted tomorrow. And my posts here for the next few weeks will likely be annoyingly theoretical.

I'm optimistic about the summer, and about finishing my dissertation -- despite the bad omen that slopped its way onto my shoulder this morning. As I was sitting outside at a local bagel place enjoying a bagel with cheese, egg, avocado, onion, and bacon, and waiting for my scalding but weak coffee to cool, I felt something wet, warm, and slimy land on my shoulder.

A bird had shat on me. (Is "shat on me" grammatically correct?)

Gross. This also happened to me one other time: when I was at the "leaning tower of Pisa" in Italy, many years ago.

It got on my light blue knee-length shorts, too. But I just laughed, wiped it off, and kept eating. And my family thinks I'm uptight . . . haha.

But, surprisingly, the rest of my day was not quite as shitty. I met some super cool people, and we exchanged lots of big laughs and more than a few pints of good beer. They even laughed at my jokes, though I don't know whether it was because I am really that funny, or they were really that drunk. Either way . . . it was fun, and I'm optimistic about the rest of the summer.

And, anyone who knows me, knows that I don't drink beer (you're more apt to find me with a martini, or even a martini shaker, in hand), so tonight was another new experience for me. I felt so "not pretentious" . . . it was cool.

4 comments:

Casey said...

Hmm... with these theory people you never know -- drinking beer might find a way to be uber-pretentious.

Have fun out there!

Wishydig said...

Oh if anything beer made me more pretentious. There's nothing worse than insisting on Belgian.

And is there anything more pompous that the phrase "This is a great microbrew"?

May the Aeolian winds reverse their course and bring you back safely.

Unknown said...

Actually, and this is entirely serious, there are some Italian peasant traditions in which getting shit on by a bird is actually an auspicious sign.

Monica said...

Ah, yes, Casey and Wishydig, I've quickly learned that beer is just as pretentious as anything else in the hands of the pompous.


Adam -- I'm glad you said that! I was thinking that I had heard something like that but was convinced I had made it up. So I guess this means my summer is really off to a good start . . .