Monday, August 24, 2020

The End of Moral Certainty

 For the past few months I've been agonizing about what I see as a doubling down from people on both sides of the political spectrum. People's certainty when it comes to everything has increased, which is troubling to me given that our current social and political climate is anything but conducive to that kind of mindset. If anything, now is the time to question everything, to think outside of our own circles and ideologies. The novelist E.L. Doctorow once wrote that doubt is "the greatest stabilizer." And he's right. Maybe we need a little more doubt and a little less certainty. With all this in mind, I wrote a piece on the end of moral certainty (and how studying midrash gave me that understanding) for the Jewish Journal. You can read it here.

No comments: